APA Division 52 Global Citizen Psychologist Citation
Citizen Psychologists are ambassadors for psychological science in their communities, bringing their professional knowledge, experience and expertise to benefit those around them by volunteering in their community at the local, national or international level.
What is a Global Citizen Psychologist?
Citizen Psychologists are ambassadors for psychological science in their communities, bringing their professional knowledge, experience and expertise to benefit those around them by volunteering in their community at the local, national or international level. Their efforts are undertaken above and beyond their regular work duties, choose to invest in their communities in a way that merits this special commendation. (Note – The term “Citizen” is intended to reflect engagement in one’s community, and does not refer to national or legal identity).
Do You Know a Global Citizen Psychologist?
The APA Division 52 Citation for Global Citizen Psychologists is intended to recognize the contributions of outstanding psychologists who have used their psychology expertise outside their normal work activities to benefit their local, national or international community. Examples might include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Volunteered their service on a Board, Commission, Committee or other activity in which they bring a psychological perspective (e.g., church, government, school, NGO).
- Developed a program to benefit a community that addresses identified community needs and that is informed by psychological models or processes
- Volunteered under emergency or high-risk situations, to provide care and fulfill needs of populations at risk.
- Volunteered for the recognition of the profession in their respective countries or communities, through lobbying, awareness meetings, and advocacy for the field of psychology.
How to nominate a colleague for the APA D52 Citation for Global Citizen Psychologists
- Individual is a psychologist as defined/certified in their country of residence and work.
- Activities that support the nomination are volunteer activities (e.g., those outside of normal work activities)
- Individual lives and works outside of the USA or Canada.
- Self-nominations are not accepted.
Process to Nominate
- Fill out online nominations form at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/D52-GlobalCitizenPsych
a. Name and contact information of Nominator
b. Name and contact information of Nominee
c. Nominee’s work and education information
d. Brief statement (maximum 300 words) outlining nominee’s volunteer work that supports their actions as a Global Citizen Psychologist
e. A 1- or 2-page letter from someone involved in the volunteer work that supports the nominee’s Global Citizen Psychologist activities.
Benefits of the Citation
Nominees selected for the Citation will be recognized in a number of ways: at the APA Convention, in a short filmed interview about their work, and in the Divison newsletter and on the Division website.
Questions? Contact the Global Citizen Psychologist Citation Awards Chair: Brian Davis