The APA Division 52 Citation for Global Citizen Psychologists is intended to recognize the contributions of outstanding psychologists who have used their psychology expertise outside their normal work activities to benefit their local, national or international community. Examples might include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Volunteered their service on a Board, Commission, Committee or other activity in which they bring a psychological perspective (e.g., church, government, school, NGO).
- Developed a program to benefit a community that addresses identified community needs and that is informed by psychological models or processes
- Volunteered under emergency or high-risk situations, to provide care and fulfill needs of populations at risk.
- Volunteered for the recognition of the profession in their respective countries or communities, through lobbying, awareness meetings, and advocacy for the field of psychology.
- Individual is a psychologist as defined/certified in their country of residence and work.
- Activities that support the nomination are volunteer activities (e.g., those outside of normal work activities)
- Individual lives and works outside of the USA or Canada.
- Self-nominations are not accepted.